Welcome to my blog page!

Thanks for stopping by! You'll find radio-related blog entries here, the GREAT majority of which will be related to SOTA (Summits on the Air). I run QRP, almost always at 4 watts unless I'm using a different radio.

Videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Other information can be found on my webpage. Learning CW, more about SOTA, and a few other things.

Friday, July 23, 2021

All Time New One (ATNO) for SOTA, W7U/IR-044, nicknamed "Wild Horse Hill"

 

It's been a while since I've done a never-before-activated summit, but it's one of the more exciting types of SOTA activities. This one I've had noted to do for over a year, and finally did it. It has only a number designation (its elevation) 6890, but due to being in a horse/burro management area with TONS of horse sign everywhere, I dubbed it "Wild Horse Hill," It's also a POTA 2fer.
In the area:

Even though I dabble in Parks on the Air, I consider myself truly a SOTA guy, at least as long as I can physically get out there and do them. This is POTA K-6097 North Hills Horse/Buro Management Area as well as K-4395 Dixie National Forest as well as SOTA W7U/IR-044 and is located west northwest of Enterprise. Close to the NV border (7 miles away). It was raining the night before, so I was hoping the weather would be good in the morning and that the route wouldn't be muddy to the point of causing a problem. I got up early, checked the radar--all clear. 

Going to a place that you've never been, that no one in SOTA has done before, has an extra element of excitement--of course that also means you never know what could cause an extra challenge. In planning the route, I knew I would need to use an OHV trail for several miles to get to the hike start point. I've not had great experiences with many OHV trails in Utah, most being very rough and quite challenging. This one was the best I had been on as far as quality and ease. It does go through a highly wooded area and the tree branches cross almost the entire trail in many parts. I missed my route twice, but luckily very quickly noticed I was off trail. Not really muddy either, just a few puddles once in a while.

It went very well and I reached the point to park the ATV and start the hike. It was heavily treed all
around so I was relying more on my navigation app than visually navigating using terrain association. Luckily it worked just fine (I have a GPS unit as a backup if needed). There was horse evidence everywhere. Not just droppings, but areas that horses had cleared for bedding down--I'm surprised I didn't see any.

I was sucking wind about halfway up--need to get out more--but I made it to the summit almost exactly when I had posted. The top was clearer than most of the route up, but only views to one side. I setup using a deadfall tree and put up my SOTA flag (which I only do with ATNOs--just my own personal thing).

On the air:

I setup and as is my routine, I started on 20m (14.059 is my go-to freq). On the way up cell service was very spotty, but I was able to spot via internet from the summit. The first minute is always interesting since it seems to set the tone and lets you know if you're going to get out and make some good contacts. After my first "CQ de AC0PR" I had two stations come back--an excellent sign of success. The first and loudest was NW7E in OR. Getting OR first thing on 20m means the band is short so getting lots from the east coast may not happen. I logged it at 15:14 UTC (I set 15:00 as my start time, not bad).

I did get FL, NC, WI, TN, besides closer stations, so I was getting out fine. by 15:16 I had the four I needed for a successful activation for SOTA. In six minutes I had the 10 needed for the POTA activations. I knew I wouldn't stay on long--it was going to be another very hot day. I stayed on 20 mins. total working 20m and 40m for 25 contacts. As is my custom, I called twice with no answer before shutting it down and packing up.

The hike down was easier of course, although I did follow a horse trail too long and had to adjust course. I always find it interesting finding the ATV in a highly wooded area. There's great satisfaction in navigating and coming up on where you want--of course it helps to have a red ATV that you can see through spaces in the trees. It was a good day.

Date:23/07/2021 | Summit:W7U/IR-044 (6890) | Call Used:AC0PR | Points: 4 | Bonus: 0 |

TimeCallsignBandModeNotes
15:14NW7E14MHzCW
15:14N0IPA14MHzCW
15:15KT5X14MHzCW
15:16W0MNA14MHzCW
15:16WY7N14MHzCW
15:17W0ERI14MHzCW
15:18K0LAF14MHzCW
15:18W9MRH14MHzCW
15:19KF7WI14MHzCW
15:20W5GDW14MHzCW
15:21K4MF14MHzCW
15:21K9WO14MHzCW
15:22K6EL14MHzCW
15:23NE4TN14MHzCW
15:23K6YK14MHzCW
15:25W5ODS14MHzCW
15:28WY7N7MHzCW
15:30K7SO7MHzCW
15:30KR7RK7MHzCW
15:31WW7D7MHzCW
15:31K6MW7MHzCW
15:32K6QCB7MHzCW
15:33NM5BG7MHzCW
15:34AA7DK7MHzCW
15:35KT0A7MHzCW

Radio-related Equipment:
  Linked dipole, homebrewed (4 bands)
  Pico Paddle
  2,200 mAh LiPo battery
  Fishing pole mast
  Earbuds
  Leypin selfie stick tripod (for recording video)
  Clipboard
  Android MotoZ (US topo map app, spotting, UTC time, recording)
  Misc. items (for repair, food, water, etc.)

Thanks for reading!

72,
Mike ACØPR

No comments:

Post a Comment