Welcome to my blog page!

Thanks for stopping by! You'll find radio-related blog entries here, the GREAT majority of which will be related to SOTA (Summits on the Air). I run QRP, almost always at 4 watts unless I'm using a different radio.

Videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Other information can be found on my webpage. Learning CW, more about SOTA, and a few other things.

Saturday, July 11, 2020

Brian Head W7U/SU-016 (my 5th time)

At the summit, 11,307 ft. with stone shack
The second summit of the day that I always do together with Navajo Point is Brian Head. It's just up the way and being a drive-up you can get from one summit to the next in about 40 mins. At times the way is blocked by snow, even in June, but July is usually clear, which is was this time.

Trail report:
This is a very easy accessed summit as Brian Head is a popular ski resort town. From I-15 you can either take SR-14 from Cedar City then 143 (closed in winter to Brian Head) or from Parowan take Highway 143. There is a road that goes all the way to the summit in good weather. Most vehicles can make this route when there is no snow. However, in May is has been blocked by snow and in July there is often still some snow around. You can also hike from a parking area below, my personal preference (making the hike about 300 vertical feet). There is an outhouse and information in the parking area.
At the top there is a parking area and a stone shack which marks the actual highest point of the summit, which also has two benchmarks embedded in the floor. Awesome views, you can see into Cedar Breaks National Monument as well. There are no trees on the summit. Quite windy every time I've gone.
I highly suggest considering W7U/IR-002 Navajo Point as well, very nearby and a beautiful hike.
The experience:
The wind wasn't actually too bad this time. Interestingly, people had put up cairns all over the place that had not been there before. It actually looked kind of cool I thought. I went away from the shack, where people always go when they visit, to not disturb anyone. Setup is pretty easy with the rocks there to keep the mast up. I heard a number of them talking and wondering what I was doing, but I was far enough away that they didn't want to come over to actually see, which is fine since once I'm making contacts it's hard to interrupt the flow and get it going again.

While the contest was still going, I didn't have my frequency taken over this time. By the time I switched to a new band, all those who had been visiting were gone, and I had the summit all to myself. I had a few summit-to-summit contacts and finished the day with Steve, wGØAT, as my last chaser.

Date:11/07/2020 | Summit:W7U/SU-016 (Brian Head) | Call Used:AC0PR | Points: 10 | Bonus: 0
TimeCallsignBandModeNotes
16:40WA2USA14MHzCW
16:41K9OZ14MHzCW
16:41K3TCU14MHzCW
16:42WC6J14MHzCWS2S W6/SN-049
16:43W6JMP14MHzCW
16:44KF7WI14MHzCW
16:44AB6SO14MHzCW
16:45ND0C14MHzCW
16:46AI6XG14MHzCW
16:46NJ7V14MHzCW
16:47AC7P14MHzCW
16:49W6STR14MHzCW
16:49W5ODS14MHzCW
16:50KF7SEY14MHzCW
16:57W0NF7MHzCW
16:57NQ7R7MHzCW
16:58K6KM7MHzCW
16:59K6QCB7MHzCW
17:00K7TP7MHzCW
17:02W7USA7MHzCW
17:03KB7HH7MHzCW
17:04KR7RK7MHzCWS2S W7A/CS-003
17:05W6TDX7MHzCW
17:06N9KW7MHzCW
17:07WG0AT7MHzCW

Map of contacts:

Radio-related Equipment:
  Linked dipole, homebrewed (4 bands)
  TeNeKe paddle (backup)
  Earbuds

Other gear (always carried no matter the summit):
  Leypin selfie stick tripod (for recording video)
  Outdoor Products 3-liter water hydration bladder
  First-aid kit
  Gloves
  Compass
  Trekking poles
  Clipboard
  Android MotoZ (US topo map app, spotting, UTC time, recording)
  Guying kit (rarely used on activations)
  Hoodie
  Rain jacket
  Beanie
  Extra socks
  Small bungees (for securing mast to bush, tree, etc.)
  Misc. items (for repair, food, matches, etc.)

Thanks for reading!

72,
Mike ACØPR



No comments:

Post a Comment