Welcome to my blog page!

Thanks for stopping by! You'll find radio-related blog entries here, the GREAT majority of which will be related to SOTA (Summits on the Air). I run QRP, almost always at 4 watts unless I'm using a different radio.

Videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Other information can be found on my webpage. Learning CW, more about SOTA, and a few other things.

Monday, March 16, 2020

Seegmiller Mountain W7A/AW-035 Taking a Ride with Dad


The high point, there are other antennas as well
This is a summit I would normally do together with Wolf Hole Mountain (W7A/NM-035) since they're right across from each other, and I would do it in early June for the summer bonus season in Arizona. However, my parents came for a visit and my Dad likes to get out into nature, and this summit is a drive-up with the road leading to the antennas, so this was a good time to head up.


Trail report:
Mt Trumbull Loop is the road to access the side road leading up Seegmiller and is a pretty good most of the way. I approached from the north using the Southern Parkway (7), just on the Utah-Arizona border. The turnoff to go up the mountain is on the southern end of the mesa, BLM 1020. The sign is badly worn and nearly unreadable at this time however. From the turnoff it's almost 9 miles to the top. The route goes around a large gorge and takes a while. A 4x4 may not be required but is recommended. You can park below the tower and hike up or park on top and hike down and back up again. There are a few antennas right near the summit but there is plenty of space to find a place to set up.
(This is near W7A/NM-035 Wolf Hole Mt. and both can be done fairly easily in the same day).

The experience:
We made our way to the summit without any trouble, I didn't engage the 4-wheel drive and made it fine. My dad explored the summit while I setup and got on the radio. I didn't want to spend too much time since I was with my dad and my mom was back at home. Besides that, with the antennas nearby, there was lots of interference on 20 meters and I could only hear a few of the strongest signals. After Dennis, Gary and Martha, I just switched to 40 meters which was a bit clearer. I was on the air less than 20 minutes, and did get one summit-to-summit in Nevada. I didn't take many pictures.

On the way back down I popped a tire--major bummer. My Toyota Tacoma changes out pretty easy, but the hardest part is just getting the tire down from the back. You have to thread linked bars (which are held by terrible, tiny screws) to the very back and engage the lower screw which you can't see and is difficult to feel. Once I FINALLY got that, it was easy, just a pain. That's the way it goes. At least I made it to a flat area so not terrible.


Date:16/03/2020 | Summit:W7A/AW-035 (Seegmiller Mountain) | Call Used:AC0PR | Points: 8 | Bonus: 0 
Time
Callsign
Band
Mode
Notes
19:23
WA2USA
14MHz
CW
19:25
W0MNA
14MHz
CW
19:25
W0ERI
14MHz
CW
19:31
K6KM
7MHz
CW
19:33
W7RV
7MHz
CW
19:34
N6AN
7MHz
CW
s2s W7N/CK-177
19:35
WW7D
7MHz
CW
19:36
N6PKT
7MHz
CW
19:36
K6YK
7MHz
CW
19:38
WU7H
7MHz
CW
19:38
K8TE
7MHz
CW
19:38
KD5KC
7MHz
CW
19:39
K7MK
7MHz
CW
19:40
KI6PMD
7MHz
CW



Contact map:

 Radio-related Equipment:
  YouKits HB-1B transceiver (qrp cw at 4 watts)
  Linked dipole, homebrewed (4 bands)
  TeNeKe paddle (backup)
  Earbuds

Other gear (always carried no matter the summit):
  Leypin selfie stick tripod (for recording video)
  Outdoor Products 3-liter water hydration bladder
  First-aid kit
  Gloves
  Compass
  Trekking poles
  Clipboard
  Android MotoZ (US topo map app, spotting, UTC time, recording)
  Guying kit (rarely used on activations)
  Hoodie
  Rain jacket
  Beanie
  Extra socks
  Small bungees (for securing mast to bush, tree, etc.)
  Misc. items (for repair, food, matches, etc.)

Thanks for reading!

72,
Mike ACØPR





No comments:

Post a Comment