Welcome to my blog page!

Thanks for stopping by! You'll find radio-related blog entries here, the GREAT majority of which will be related to SOTA (Summits on the Air). I run QRP, almost always at 4 watts unless I'm using a different radio.

Videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Other information can be found on my webpage. Learning CW, more about SOTA, and a few other things.

Saturday, February 29, 2020

1st Activation of "Bulldog Pass" W7U/WS-112 (5284), Leap Day!

View while approaching the mountain
This is the second of a new "round" of finding never-before-activated summits. This one I've seen a few times, did some map recon, and decided it was time it was activated. It's just a one-pointer in Utah, but I was familiar with the area with a few other summits. First activations are always the most exciting.

Trail report:
The rock wall behind the tree
Access is gained from Old Highway 91. From the north it can be reached through Shivwitts Paiute Reservation, from the south it is just off of I-15 from Littlefield, AZ. Off of Old Highway 91, from either direction you take Mojave Desert Joshua Tree Rd. From the north it starts off paved but turns to a dirt road after just a bit (from the south it’s dirt from the beginning). The road does not require a 4x4 and is a decent road for most of it. From the north it’s just over 10 miles to the trailhead (just over 7 miles from the south). Mapping apps or GPS will let you know when you’re at the base of the mountain—there is a small access road for the electric line where I started the trail.

The hike is steep, but not too bad. The top is quite rocky so I would suggest checking the mapping page route where there is a nice, open access at the top without any scrambling required, although true rock climbers can find a number of other ways to access the top. Once over the top lip, it is rocky and not far to the high point. There is wire marking the high point and currently a registry. Good cell service at the top. Only rock and brush for setup.

The experience:
As is usually the case, Google Earth and topo maps don't always tell the whole story. Once at the base of the mountain, I visually scouted out a couple of routes. The one I went for had a large tree and a cove/entry behind it. The hike went well. Because the tree was so big, what I couldn't see is that instead of an opening, I was facing a rock wall. There was an area where a scramble was possible, but as a hiker who goes alone almost on every activation, I don't take any chances like that.

Luckily, from the base I noticed another possibility. I couldn't see it from where I was stopped, but knew how to get around to it. It took a bit longer naturally, but once I got there it was a simple walk over the top. From there I just had to make the distance back up and make my way to the high point. It was very different on the the other of the mountain--mostly rocky. When I made it to the summit, there was a registry. When I looked at it, only a few people had signed it, like maybe two per year, but one couple had signed it earlier the same morning. I didn't see them though.

With the extra time taken to get to the summit, I didn't stay on very long, just 20 mins. with 21 contacts including one summit-to-summit with KXØR, George in Colorado. I carefully made the hike back down and completed the successful first activation of the summit, so very good day.

Video of the activation

Date:29/02/2020 | Summit:W7U/WS-112 (5284) | Call Used:AC0PR | Points: 1 | Bonus: 0
Time
Callsign
Band
Mode
Notes
18:09
W9MRH
14MHz
CW
18:09
K7PD
14MHz
CW
18:10
KG3W
14MHz
CW
18:11
KB5EDR
14MHz
CW
18:11
K4MF
14MHz
CW
18:12
AC7P
14MHz
CW
18:12
KG5AUU
14MHz
CW
18:13
W0MNA
14MHz
CW
18:13
W2RAN
14MHz
CW
18:13
W0ERI
14MHz
CW
18:14
WW7D
14MHz
CW
18:15
KX0R
14MHz
CW
S2S W0C/PR-114
18:17
WA2USA
14MHz
CW
18:17
WU7H
14MHz
CW
18:18
WF4I
14MHz
CW
18:19
AD0YM
14MHz
CW
18:19
NR0R
14MHz
CW
18:21
N0RZ
14MHz
CW
18:26
NQ7R
7MHz
CW
18:29
K6EL
7MHz
CW


 Contact map:

 Radio-related Equipment:
  YouKits HB-1B transceiver (qrp cw at 4 watts)
  Linked dipole, homebrewed (4 bands)
  TeNeKe paddle (backup)
  Earbuds

Other gear (always carried no matter the summit):
  Leypin selfie stick tripod (for recording video)
  Outdoor Products 3-liter water hydration bladder
  First-aid kit
  Gloves
  Compass
  Trekking poles
  Clipboard
  Android MotoZ (US topo map app, spotting, UTC time, recording)
  Guying kit (rarely used on activations)
  Hoodie
  Rain jacket
  Beanie
  Extra socks
  Small bungees (for securing mast to bush, tree, etc.)
  Misc. items (for repair, food, matches, etc.)

Thanks for reading!

72,
Mike ACØPR



No comments:

Post a Comment