Welcome to my blog page!

Thanks for stopping by! You'll find radio-related blog entries here, the GREAT majority of which will be related to SOTA (Summits on the Air). I run QRP, almost always at 4 watts unless I'm using a different radio.

Videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Other information can be found on my webpage. Learning CW, more about SOTA, and a few other things.

Saturday, February 15, 2020

West Mountain Peak W7U/SU-045, Tower Interference

(Previous activation photo)
This is a very fast activation, so much so I didn't even take photos like I normally do. I had other plans later, but I was itching to go out. There was still snow on the upper road and on the top when not in direct sunlight. The ATV ride was a big challenging at times, but still fun.

Trail report:
The mountain is accessed by old Hwy 91 either north from Shivwits Reservation or south from I-15, and then taking Beaver Dam Mountain Road (not marked but good sized). This is a dirt road that can have some ruts, but a four-wheel drive vehicle is not necessary until you get higher up. Once at Hell Hole Pass, a saddle, the road splits, one on the right that continues up and the other on the left that heads down off the other side of the range. The road can be sketchy depending on the time of year. There is a road that goes all the way to the top, though it is not an easy route. You will need a 4x4, even better if still snowy. There is a benchmark, but it's among the antennas so you'll have to search a bit.
One set (of three) of antenna area (previous activation photo)

The experience:
As soon as I reached the top I heard other OHV's on the road on the way up. They were just exploring really and checking it out. I hadn't even set up yet. They only stayed a few minutes then went on their way.

I setup quickly and got on the air. The interference from the towers was much worse than it had been in the past (though there always was some). I could not hear a thing on 20 meters and just switched to 40. I stayed on 40 for five minutes. Seven contacts later, I packed up and headed back down. It wasn't really enjoyable--I shouldn't have made other plans so felt rushed, and I picked a place with tons of interference. It was successful at least, but it's definitely not my favorite summit.


Date:15/02/2020 | Summit:W7U/SU-045 (West Mountain Peak) | Call Used:AC0PR | Points: 6 | Bonus: 3
Time
Callsign
Band
Mode
Notes
18:26
W6IPA
7MHz
CW
18:27
KI6DS
7MHz
CW
18:28
NW7E
7MHz
CW
18:29
W6TDX
7MHz
CW
18:29
W5ODS
7MHz
CW
18:30
K6HPX
7MHz
CW
18:31
NS7P
7MHz
CW




Contact map:

Radio-related Equipment:
  YouKits HB-1B transceiver (qrp cw at 4 watts)
  Linked dipole, homebrewed (4 bands)
  TeNeKe paddle (backup)
  Earbuds

Other gear (always carried no matter the summit):
  Leypin selfie stick tripod (for recording video)
  Outdoor Products 3-liter water hydration bladder
  First-aid kit
  Gloves
  Compass
  Trekking poles
  Clipboard
  Android MotoZ (US topo map app, spotting, UTC time, recording)
  Guying kit (rarely used on activations)
  Hoodie
  Rain jacket
  Beanie
  Extra socks
  Small bungees (for securing mast to bush, tree, etc.)
  Misc. items (for repair, food, matches, etc.)

Thanks for reading!

72,
Mike ACØPR


No comments:

Post a Comment