Welcome to my blog page!

Thanks for stopping by! You'll find radio-related blog entries here, the GREAT majority of which will be related to SOTA (Summits on the Air). I run QRP, almost always at 4 watts unless I'm using a different radio.

Videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Other information can be found on my webpage. Learning CW, more about SOTA, and a few other things.

Saturday, May 29, 2021

Big Mountain SOTA activation (W7U/SU-051) after a long dry spell

After a long hiatus of not activating (mostly because of work, lack of motivation), after four months I finally made myself get out and enjoy a bit of nature by heading to Big Mt. in Washington Co., Utah. I decided on one that was easy and in a little cooler area.
In the area:

I got at the base about the time I had planned. I parked the pickup and got on the ATV for the mountain
road up. It's a good road and the pickup could make it no problem, but I like to use the ATV just in case, plus it's just more fun. On the top are some large antennas which can interfere, but I move further up and from that point it's not too bad.

I found a second benchmark which I hadn't seen before. Setup was pretty quick. I used a fence post to support the mast.

On the air:

There are two things I don't bother checking on an activation: the sunspot activity, since I go no matter the solar conditions and have never had trouble, and two, the contests that are going on. There happened to be a CW contest, and it was a big one. Since I don't really contest seriously, when I have the chance to get out an operate, I do that instead. 

The activity on 20m was bad enough that the contesters were up in the qrp area of the band, and I couldn't hold a frequency long enough to make contacts. So I just moved to 30m instead (where contesting does not take place). I didn't spend long there and moved to 40m after that. I didn't stay on long, just some 20 minutes.

I accomplished my goal of getting out, activating, enjoying the mountain air. I headed back down and then back home. That was the start of a little run of activating and getting back on the radio. I was going to make a video, but then changed my mind.


Date:29/05/2021 | Summit:W7U/SU-051 (Big Mountain) | Call Used:AC0PR | Points: 4 | Bonus: 0
TimeCallsignBandModeNotes
14:47KA5PVB10MHzCW
14:49VE7HI10MHzCW
14:50ND0C10MHzCW
14:51N0IPA10MHzCW
14:52WC0Y10MHzCW
14:53W5BOS10MHzCW
14:54NU7A10MHzCW
15:00W7RV7MHzCW
15:01NG6R7MHzCW
15:02K6HPX7MHzCW
15:03K6TUY7MHzCW
15:03K6QCB7MHzCW
15:04WB7VTY7MHzCW



Radio-related Equipment:
  Linked dipole, homebrewed (4 bands)
  Pico Paddle
  2,200 mAh LiPo battery
  Fishing pole mast
  Earbuds
  Leypin selfie stick tripod (for recording video)
  Clipboard
  Android MotoZ (US topo map app, spotting, UTC time, recording)
  Misc. items (for repair, food, water, etc.)

Thanks for reading!

72,
Mike ACØPR





No comments:

Post a Comment