Welcome to my blog page!

Thanks for stopping by! You'll find radio-related blog entries here, the GREAT majority of which will be related to SOTA (Summits on the Air). I run QRP, almost always at 4 watts unless I'm using a different radio.

Videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Other information can be found on my webpage. Learning CW, more about SOTA, and a few other things.

Saturday, May 30, 2020

Harmony High Point W7U/IR-019 and Using Te-Ne-Ke CW Key

Setup at the summit
This is my fourth trip up to this summit. It's beautiful, has nice views, and the access is long but easy--I'm surprised no one else has activated it yet. It's snowed in if you try to go too early in spring. I also did some visual recon for a couple of other summits that can be seen from the top. The weather was great, beautiful day.


Trail report:
Partial tower on the summit
Access is gained through the town of New Harmony, go all the way through main street and to Harmony Dr. [Old State Hwy 144] until it enters Dixie National Forest and becomes FR-029 which is on the west side of town. Trying to gain, what appears to be, more direct access heading north through the center of town will result in many "no trespassing" signs and a locked gate at the entrance of the mountain road.

Once in the National Forest, there is a small dirt access road which will lead to the mountain road and is not obvious or present on a number of maps (it is on the sotamap page), but you can see it off to the right (east). From this point I pulled over and used an ATV. (The entire route will be posted on the mapping page for clarification). This road leads to the mountain road that goes to the High Point.
Looking towards an unactived summit

There would be a number of challenging areas for a 4x4, but doable for an experienced mountain driver. Naturally, time of year needs to be taken into account (still had snow across the road in two small spots in May). It actually gets nicer higher up at times. No problem for the ATV. There is currently an older partial tower on the summit. The final approach is clear of trees and is not a bad climb, although the road does go all the way up. No benchmark that I could find.

The experience:
I enjoy this summit each year. I'm surprised I don't see more deer, although I did still see eight this time. I'm sure it's a popular hunting area, but I don't go in the fall. Setup is easy with the rocks on top. Not much activity on 20 meters which was odd. I didn't stay on much longer than a half an hour, I would have stayed longer if there had been more activity. As I do once in a while, I tried 30 meters since 20 was slow. I only got one contact and after a while of nothing moved on.
Using the Te-Ne-Ke

After I got to the bottom I went to the base of the one of the other summits nearby that haven't been done. The trail was blocked off though. From what I could see, there is a section that can't be avoided that is quite steep. I tend to avoid those that can be sketchy since I go alone. We'll see if it happens in the future.



Date:30/05/2020 | Summit:W7U/IR-019 (Harmony Mountains HP) | Call Used:AC0PR | Points: 6 | Bonus: 0
TimeCallsignBandModeNotes
14:57NE4TN14MHzCW
14:58K2JB14MHzCW
14:59W0MNA14MHzCW
14:59W0ERI14MHzCW
15:00K0LAF14MHzCW
15:01AC1Z14MHzCW
15:11NQ7R7MHzCW
15:11K7TP7MHzCW
15:12WW7D7MHzCW
15:13WB5USB7MHzCW
15:20WW7D10MHzCW
15:27NS7P7MHzCW
15:28K6QCB7MHzCW
15:30WB5USB7MHzCW
15:31W7RV7MHzCW
15:32W6STR7MHzCW
15:33K7VK7MHzCW
15:33WD6TED7MHzCW
15:34KR7RK7MHzCW

Map of contacts:
Radio-related Equipment:
  Linked dipole, homebrewed (4 bands)
  Picopaddle (backup) 
  Earbuds

Other gear (always carried no matter the summit):
  Leypin selfie stick tripod (for recording video)
  Outdoor Products 3-liter water hydration bladder
  First-aid kit
  Gloves
  Compass
  Trekking poles
  Clipboard
  Android MotoZ (US topo map app, spotting, UTC time, recording)
  Guying kit (rarely used on activations)
  Hoodie
  Rain jacket
  Beanie
  Extra socks
  Small bungees (for securing mast to bush, tree, etc.)
  Misc. items (for repair, food, matches, etc.)

Thanks for reading!

72,
Mike ACØPR

No comments:

Post a Comment