Welcome to my blog page!

Thanks for stopping by! You'll find radio-related blog entries here, the GREAT majority of which will be related to SOTA (Summits on the Air). I run QRP, almost always at 4 watts unless I'm using a different radio.

Videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Other information can be found on my webpage. Learning CW, more about SOTA, and a few other things.

Monday, June 1, 2020

Starvation Point W7A/NM-134 First Day of Summer Bonus in AZ

View from near the summit into the Gorge
I have always gone out on the first day of Arizona's summer bonus. I live in the far southwest corner of Utah, it is desert and near the Arizona Strip, a mostly unoccupied stretch of desert. This summit is a drive-up (by ATV) but it goes to nowhere, so very few go out to it. While I have seen rattlers out here, there were none this time.


Trail report:
There is a road that goes all the way to the summit, but most of it is really Jeep trail. I opted for driving my ATV from the bottom. It's right off of I-15, the first exit once you enter AZ from Utah. LOTS of ups and downs. Cool looking desert terrain. The views are great once on top.

The experience:
The ride in was good, a bit breezy. I try and get this one in before it gets to hot to bother going to the desert which happens in July usually. This was the second of four planned summits to use the Te-Ne-Ke CW key as a test run. It worked well, but I'm still getting used to the width of the finger spacing. Even so I really like it.

There was very little activity on 20 meters. It could be because of how early it was, thus the band wasn't reaching far, or being a Monday, or other factors. No matter the day, time, or conditions though, I've never had trouble activating a summit. I was done before 9am. There are no trees and only sporadic rocks on the summit, so I use a bush and bungee my fishing pole mast to it. Then I use a couple of rocks to steady it at the base. With the Jackite pole, this was much harder since that pole is so much heavier--it's just takes more to steady it.

I have had a little trouble with starting the ATV. It's a Honda and normally starts up immediately, that's when I realized I haven't changed the battery in over four years. Luckily I got it started to head back to the pickup and made it home. I did buy a new battery after getting home.

Video reviewing Te-Ne-Ke

Date:01/06/2020 | Summit:W7A/NM-134 (Starvation Point) | Call Used:AC0PR | Points: 4 | Bonus: 3
TimeCallsignBandModeNotes
14:10W9MRH14MHzCW
14:11N4EX14MHzCW
14:12W0MNA14MHzCW
14:12W0ERI14MHzCW
14:14W5GDW14MHzCW
14:17K3TCU14MHzCW
14:18K0LAF14MHzCW
14:18WN4AT14MHzCW
14:25K6KM7MHzCW
14:26KA5PVB7MHzCW
14:28K8TE7MHzCW
14:28KE6MT7MHzCW
14:29K6YK7MHzCW
14:30AE0XI7MHzCW
14:34K6LDQ7MHzCW
14:34N1CLC7MHzCW
14:35N6TVN7MHzCW
14:37KE5AKL7MHzCWS2S W5N/EL-002
14:38N6PKT7MHzCW
14:39N0RZ7MHzCW
14:40KR7RK7MHzCW
14:41NG6R7MHzCW
14:42K6HPX7MHzCW
14:43K7MK7MHzCW
14:43W6STR7MHzCW
14:47WW7D14MHzCW
14:49ND1J14MHzCW

Contact map:
Radio-related Equipment:
  Linked dipole, homebrewed (4 bands)
  Picopaddle (backup) 
  Earbuds

Other gear (always carried no matter the summit):
  Leypin selfie stick tripod (for recording video)
  Outdoor Products 3-liter water hydration bladder
  First-aid kit
  Gloves
  Compass
  Trekking poles
  Clipboard
  Android MotoZ (US topo map app, spotting, UTC time, recording)
  Guying kit (rarely used on activations)
  Hoodie
  Rain jacket
  Beanie
  Extra socks
  Small bungees (for securing mast to bush, tree, etc.)
  Misc. items (for repair, food, matches, etc.)

Thanks for reading!

72,
Mike ACØPR


No comments:

Post a Comment