Welcome to my blog page!

Thanks for stopping by! You'll find radio-related blog entries here, the GREAT majority of which will be related to SOTA (Summits on the Air). I run QRP, almost always at 4 watts unless I'm using a different radio.

Videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Other information can be found on my webpage. Learning CW, more about SOTA, and a few other things.

Saturday, June 20, 2020

1st Activation Spencer, ID W7I/ER-088 (7340)

Summit proper
This was a chance to activate while visiting my folks in Rexburg, ID. I thought about some other summits closer to home, but they were still snowed in with the recent storms they've had. This one, never activated--which is always extra fun--was a 4-point summit about an hour drive north. My dad drove up with me, although he stayed by the pickup to walk about.


Trail report:
Benchmark (says "Three")
This summit is accessed from the town of Spencer, ID right off of I-15. After exiting at Spencer head east "into town" on the short road Opal Way and take a right (south) on Old Hwy 91 which quickly crosses the railroad tracks and takes you to Spencer/Kilgore Road. 
After only about 1.5 miles, you turn off north at a field and go through the wire/fence-post gate. The road is very grassy and is not used frequently. Once you start your way up, you'll pass one fork (staying left/west) and reach the next one. From here you can go up where the antennas are and circle around or stay low in the draw. Both options are not optimal for regular-sized vehicles. An OHV is preferrible on both.
I took the high (left) fork up and the other coming down to see what both were like. The lower, draw road is smoother and grassy, but also has ruts caused by run-off. The upper route has nicer views, also grassy, but with rocks underneath. If the weather is dry, the lower route is a better road.
Beautiful flowers!
Going either direction will lead you to a few hundred vertical feet below the summit. There is a benchmark as seen on topo maps, but not quite where you would think. There is remains of an old wood structure, but the benchmark is a little lower elevation than that to the south (maybe 10 yards). The highpoint, however, is around to the east and is easy to spot once on the upper part of the summit. There is good cell service in the area. Some brush, rocky at the top, trees aren't far away.
The experience:
It was a beautiful day. I dropped the ATV at the base and took the higher route up to reach closer to the top. I had a group of three OHV's in front of me for a while. They stopped near an antenna overlooking the small town. It was their first time up this way as well and weren't sure if they should continue on their scouting trip for a hunt in the fall. We all kept going and reached the Targhee National Forest edge. They stopped and I kept going. There was a good flat place to stop and start the hike. It was a nice hike, cool, with lots of green.
The shack
I circled around to the high point and set up. Lots of activity, got 3 summit-to-summit contacts and a total of 30 contacts in 35 minutes on the air. I did have a bunch of ants find me which made for interesting CW I'm sure as I moved around and swiped them off.
I packed up, not wanting to keep my dad waiting too long, and headed back down as I snacked on a packet of fruit snacks. I took the other route back down once reaching the ATV. Much nicer (once down the steep first part). Very enjoyable activation.
Date:20/06/2020 | Summit:W7I/ER-088 (7340) | Call Used:AC0PR | Points: 4 | Bonus: 0 
TimeCallsignBandModeNotes
16:19W5ODS14MHzCW
16:19VE7JH14MHzCW
16:20W7USA14MHzCW
16:21K6YK14MHzCW
16:21VE7HI14MHzCW
16:22WA7JTM14MHzCW
16:22WW7D14MHzCW
16:23W0MNA14MHzCW
16:23W7HO14MHzCW
16:24WC6J14MHzCWS2S W6/SN-039
16:26AC1Z14MHzCW
16:27W0ERI14MHzCW
16:27N4EX14MHzCW
16:27WA2USA14MHzCW
16:28N6WT14MHzCW
16:29WU7H14MHzCW
16:29N9XG14MHzCW
16:30W4KRN14MHzCW
16:30K4MF14MHzCW
16:32K6QCB14MHzCW
16:32AB0BM14MHzCW
16:33K0LAF14MHzCW
16:34ND0C14MHzCW
16:40KB7HH7MHzCWS2S W7A/YV-001
16:43K7TP7MHzCW
16:44WB7VUF7MHzCW
16:47KF7WI7MHzCW
16:51K7DJL7MHzCWS2S W7W/PO-016
16:52N6PKT7MHzCW
16:53AB6SO7MHzCW

Map of contacts:

Radio-related Equipment:
  Linked dipole, homebrewed (4 bands)
  TeNeKe paddle (backup)
  Earbuds

Other gear (always carried no matter the summit):
  Leypin selfie stick tripod (for recording video)
  Outdoor Products 3-liter water hydration bladder
  First-aid kit
  Gloves
  Compass
  Trekking poles
  Clipboard
  Android MotoZ (US topo map app, spotting, UTC time, recording)
  Guying kit (rarely used on activations)
  Hoodie
  Rain jacket
  Beanie
  Extra socks
  Small bungees (for securing mast to bush, tree, etc.)
  Misc. items (for repair, food, matches, etc.)

Thanks for reading!

72,
Mike ACØPR


No comments:

Post a Comment