Welcome to my blog page!

Thanks for stopping by! You'll find radio-related blog entries here, the GREAT majority of which will be related to SOTA (Summits on the Air). I run QRP, almost always at 4 watts unless I'm using a different radio.

Videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Other information can be found on my webpage. Learning CW, more about SOTA, and a few other things.

Thursday, June 24, 2021

SSTV images sent from the International Space Station June 22-24

 

Prior to Field Day 2021, the ARRL sent out an announcement about the images being sent from ISS. I had never done a Slow Scan TV image before, but thought it would be cool to get a photo on the radio from space. This was the clearest of the photos I received.
I quickly read up on the subject, downloaded some software, and did a few test with audio on YouTube.

The files came through fine in the test, so I knew at least that was working. I have done digital modes in the past, but the software I had wasn't specifically for SSTV. MMSSTV is the freeware and is easy to use.
Next was to get on the radio and have it come through. Since I have a SignaLink USB already, it was just a plug and play kind of thing almost. The configuration was easy.

I looked up the predictions for when the ISS would be passing over during the time of the transmissions. They were going to send twelve total images. Unfortunately, the few days before they started were the best and longest passes, so I would have to see how it went.

One cool thing is you don't even have to be there to capture the images, it will just do it if it's up and running. I did stay for most of the passes though.

I would be using my base station antenna, a Diamond dual band, which is a vertical, non-directional which I knew meant my images wouldn't be the sharpest. It was a fun activity and it was excited when I could tell what it was. Static over the signal translates into green interference on the photo. Of the twelve, I was able to get eleven in some way. Certainly some were better than others.
I will most likely do more of this in the future. Maybe some day I'll go as far as getting a directional antenna to use and even try for a regular ISS qso.

73 all,

Mike AC0PR


No comments:

Post a Comment