Welcome to my blog page!

Thanks for stopping by! You'll find radio-related blog entries here, the GREAT majority of which will be related to SOTA (Summits on the Air). I run QRP, almost always at 4 watts unless I'm using a different radio.

Videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Other information can be found on my webpage. Learning CW, more about SOTA, and a few other things.

Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Yellowstone Mesa (W7A/NM-062) SOTA activation AZ Summer Bonus season!

 

The first day of summer bonus in Arizona! Living within 10 mins of Arizona allows me to cross over and activate many of the summits that offer a summer bonus starting in June. Since it gets so hot so quickly, I usually go out the first few days and get as many as I can before even early morning is too hot to go.
In the area:


This one is interesting in that you don't even have a vertical hike. The mesa just sits a little higher than what there is to the north to access it, but the drop off around it is what is impressive. I'm always on the lookout for snakes, especially since the largest rattler I've ever seen was on this mesa some years back. Nothing this year though.
Also, in AZ the point system is based on lower elevations that Utah. So there's a very similar mesa just over the border in Utah that's actually a few feet higher in elevation. The Utah mesa is worth 2 points, no matter the season. With the summer 3 point bonus, and the regular 6 points the mesa is at other times, this is a 9-pointer in AZ at this time of year--quite a difference.

On the air:

As is usually the case in Arizona for summer bonus, I don't stay on overly long since it gets hot fast, so it was about 35 minutes on air. I was lucky to get SA4BLM once again from Sweden, though that was the only DX this time. It was good on air though, although not quite as great as the previous day. Of course, Harmony HP is at a much higher elevation than the mesa as well.

There's one other factor doing these hot summer ones though. I have had a number of flat tires going on activations and the thought of having to do that as the temperature rises to 100 degrees keeps me from staying longer just in case. Then again, even when the weather is nice, since I activate alone, I always think about what could go wrong, so I always leave in plenty of time to get down, get back, be safe, etc. That probably won't change.
Date:01/06/2021 | Summit:W7A/NM-062 (Yellowstone Mesa) | Call Used:AC0PR | Points: 6 | Bonus: 3
TimeCallsignBandModeNotes
14:37W9MRH14MHzCW
14:38AC7P14MHzCW
14:39K3TCU14MHzCW
14:42NS7P14MHzCW
14:42W0MNA14MHzCW
14:42W0ERI14MHzCW
14:43AB4PP14MHzCW
14:44N4MJ14MHzCW
14:45K0LAF14MHzCW
14:47SA4BLM14MHzCW
14:49N4LAG14MHzCW
14:50AC7GG14MHzCW
14:51K7SO14MHzCW
14:54W7RV7MHzCW
14:55AA7OY7MHzCW
14:56K6YK7MHzCW
14:57K6LDQ7MHzCW
14:58KR7RK7MHzCW
14:58WB6POT7MHzCW
15:00WA6RWI7MHzCW
15:02KE6MT7MHzCW


Radio-related Equipment:
  Linked dipole, homebrewed (4 bands)
  Pico Paddle
  2,200 mAh LiPo battery
  Fishing pole mast
  Earbuds
  Leypin selfie stick tripod (for recording video)
  Clipboard
  Android MotoZ (US topo map app, spotting, UTC time, recording)
  Misc. items (for repair, food, water, etc.)

Thanks for reading!

72,
Mike ACØPR



No comments:

Post a Comment