Welcome to my blog page!

Thanks for stopping by! You'll find radio-related blog entries here, the GREAT majority of which will be related to SOTA (Summits on the Air). I run QRP, almost always at 4 watts unless I'm using a different radio.

Videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Other information can be found on my webpage. Learning CW, more about SOTA, and a few other things.

Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Starvation Point W7A/NM-134, AZ summer bonus round 2

 

This is the one of the closest summits to my home. It's the first exit off of I-15 as you head south and cross into AZ. It has awesome views of the Virgin River and what is called the Gorge. This is also one I do every year normally doing the summer bonus season.
In the area:

The first time I did this one was on a mountain bike (not in the summer though). It has a very nice
desert terrain. Some see the desert as barren and ugly, but there are plenty of interesting and beautiful parts of the desert. No rattle snakes this time. I never see anyone else on the trail going up (which is true of a LOT of the places I go actually). There was a light breeze, which was actually nice.
I go pretty early in the morning compared to the other places I go. With a heat wave coming, this may be the last in the summer bonus area for a while--we'll see. There's cool cacti and desert scenery all the way though.

On the air:

Once again I was lucky to have F4WBN from France be there right on the money and get in first before the calls started rolling in. It's such a great feeling to get a DX early on and know that not only is your setup working well but that bands are good enough for 4 measly watts to reach that far. Time of day also has a lot to do with getting those far away ones.

Stayed on 20 minutes is all and then packed up to head back. I love being there, but before the heat gets to where it can't go unnoticed, I like to get out of there. 

It may be because I had an activation some years ago where I went later than I should have, and it was a tough climb. Although I didn't stay long, it took longer than expected (first activation for that summit). On the way back down, which was still difficult, I started to get overheated. I got to the point I was close to being done and down, but felt I needed to sit in the shade, take my pack off and just let my body recover some before going down what was probably only a 1/4 mile left, and downhill. 

Anyway, this was a good activation and I got back just fine before the heat got bad.

Date:02/06/2021 | Summit:W7A/NM-134 (Starvation Point) | Call Used:AC0PR | Points: 4 | Bonus: 3

TimeCallsignBandModeNotes
14:03F4WBN14MHzCW
14:04K3TCU14MHzCW
14:05KN3Y14MHzCW
14:06WC0Y14MHzCW
14:07WB7BWZ14MHzCW
14:08KU4R14MHzCW
14:08K6MW14MHzCW
14:09K0LAF14MHzCW
14:10W0MNA14MHzCW
14:11KF7WI14MHzCW
14:11W0ERI14MHzCW
14:12K1EBY14MHzCW
14:13K7SO14MHzCW
14:13W5GDW14MHzCW
14:15VE7HI14MHzCW
14:20AA7OY7MHzCW
14:21W6JP7MHzCW
14:22N7EDK7MHzCW
14:22KE6MT7MHzCW
14:23K6EL7MHzCW
14:23K8TE7MHzCW
14:24K1LB7MHzCW


Radio-related Equipment:
  Linked dipole, homebrewed (4 bands)
  Pico Paddle
  2,200 mAh LiPo battery
  Fishing pole mast
  Earbuds
  Leypin selfie stick tripod (for recording video)
  Clipboard
  Android MotoZ (US topo map app, spotting, UTC time, recording)
  Misc. items (for repair, food, water, etc.)

Thanks for reading!

72,
Mike ACØPR



No comments:

Post a Comment